Creating Healthy Organizations
Graham's new book describes how to strengthen the links between people and performance.
Graham Lowe talks with Canadian HR Reporter TV's Amanda Silliker about why it's important to have a healthy organization and how employers can build one.
View Graham's presentation at the Minding Your Workplace Symposium, May 6th, 2011, sponsored by Alberta Health Service.
- Work Environment E-newsletter (Dec. 23 '13)
Seasons Greetings from Graham Lowe
As 2013 draws to a close, I would like to take the opportunity to wish all of you the very best for the holiday season, and much health and happiness in 2014.
This is also a good time to look into the year ahead…
- Work Environment E-newsletter (Nov. 4 '13)
On November 1st, 2013, WorkSafeBC implemented new policies aimed at preventing bullying and harassment in the workplace. Under BC's Workers Compensation Act, employers must take reasonable steps to address the hazards posed by bulling and…
- Work Environment E-newsletter - December 2012 (Dec. 19 '12)
As 2012 draws to a close, I would like to take the opportunity to wish all of you the best for the holiday season, and much health and happiness in 2013. Graham Lowe
Here are three of my recent publications that may interest you…Creating Healthy…
- Work Environment E-newsletter - August 2012 (Aug. 7 '12)
How employee engagement matters for hospital performance
Graham Lowe’s article in the spring issue of Healthcare Quarterly shows that high-performing healthcare organizations have highly engaged employees. Graham examines how job, work…
- Healthy Work Environments: Canada's Next Big Idea (Aug. 30 '12)
What would it take to make healthy work environments a top national priority "a big idea" that energizes positive workplace change? Graham Lowe provides an answer to this question in the annual Nachemson Lecture, which he was invited by deliver at…
- A Call for Coordinated Action on Healthy Workplaces (Aug. 30 '12)
The Canadian Healthy Workplace Council is calling for a coordinated action agenda to create healthy workplaces.
Recognizing that a critical mass of governments, organizations and workplace health practitioners are pursuing healthy workplace goals,…
- On this Labour Day: Let's make Job Quality a national goal (Aug. 30 '12)
A new study by Canadian Policy Research Networks is urging employers and governments to focus on job quality as a means to recruit and retain the workers needed for Canada's future prosperity.
In 21st Century Job Quality: Achieving What Canadians…
- It's a matter of trust (Aug. 30 '12)
HR professionals frequently comment that they don't want to be cast in the role of keepers of the corporate culture. Their vision of the ideal organization is one in which the executive team actively nurtures a people-centred culture. Yet despite…
- Creating a Quality Work Environment: New Study (Aug. 30 '12)
The Health Sciences Association of Alberta (HSAA) has just released the findings from its work environment study. The purpose of the study is to provide new evidence that can be used constructively to improve the work environments of HSAA members,…
- Culture as the new competitive advantage (Aug. 30 '12)
More executives today are equating culture with business success. The once fuzzy notion of corporate culture is quickly gaining a strategic edge.
At a minimum, an organization's culture -- "the way we do things here' -- must promote its core…
- Are you ready to tap older workers' talents? (Aug. 30 '12)
The coming wave of baby-boomer retirements has been on employers' radar screens for well over a decade. Yet few employers have taken the steps needed to prepare for this new demographic reality.
Now, more than 1 in 5 workers in Canada are between…
- Healthy Organizational Transformation (Aug. 30 '12)
Given the abundance of research evidence, how can anyone doubt the benefits of healthy work environments for employees and organizations?
After all, we know that healthy jobs and workplaces contribute to an individual's physical, psychological and…
- Universities as Healthy Work Environments (Aug. 30 '12)
A healthy university rests on many pillars. Adequate funding is essential to meet progressively higher goals. Also crucial is its integration within local and global communities, especially by providing access to students from diverse backgrounds. A…
- Best workplaces have a corporate culture of open and honest communication (Aug. 30 '12)
By Graham Lowe
Published in Canadian HR Reporter, September 12, 2005.
Communication is a basic part of a manager's role. Yet managers often lack the incentives, resources, skills or understanding needed to effectively communicate with their…
- The Case for Workplace Health (Aug. 30 '12)
The following article appeared in Canadian Healthcare Manager, June 2005.
Encouraging leadership key to healthy workplace
A growing number of employers are searching for solutions to rising health and disability benefits costs. This has generated…
- Surviving Stress in the Workplace (Aug. 30 '12)
"Survivability, quite simply, is the ability to survive and thrive, no matter what life throws at you. It is a mindset, a way of thinking based on self-reliance and resilience", according to Janis Foord Kirk, one of Canada's first career columnists…
- Great Place to Work® Institute launches in Canada (Aug. 30 '12)
As a long-time champion of high quality workplaces, I am very pleased to announce that The Graham Lowe Group Inc. is launching Great Place to Work® Institute Canada.
At the Great Place to Work® Institute Canada, we believe that any…
- The rapidly changing retirement landscape (Aug. 30 '12)
The retirement landscape is being transformed as Baby-Boomers quickly approach the retirement age threshold, birth rates decline, and people live longer. Several new reports underscore that these changes have significant implications for human…
- Wilson Banwell and The Graham Lowe Group join forces to implement leading healthy workplace solutions (Aug. 30 '12)
Vancouver, B.C. March 3, 2005: Craig Thompson, V.P. Business Development for Wilson Banwell" Human SolutionsTM, announced today a new joint venture with The Graham Lowe Group, a widely-acknowledged innovator in creating high quality workplaces.
- Are good jobs disappearing in Canada? (Aug. 30 '12)
While good jobs are not disappearing in Canada, neither are they increasing at rates we might expect in a knowledge-based economy. This conclusion is gleaned from a new study by Statistics Canada, Are Good Jobs Disappearing in Canada? Researchers…
- Graham Lowe wins 2004 Canadian Workplace Wellness Pioneer Award (Aug. 30 '12)
Graham Lowe, President of the Graham Lowe Group, has received the 2004 Canadian Workplace Wellness Pioneer Award. Since 1997, the Canadian Workplace Wellness Pioneer Awards have recognized professionals from the public and private sectors who have…
- Learning resources: two new articles on big HR challenges (Aug. 30 '12)
Two new articles, written by Graham Lowe, president of the Graham Lowe Group, offer practical insights on major human resource challenges facing organizations today: the need to revamp retirement policies; and linking healthy workplaces to…
- Leading the way to healthier health care workplaces (Aug. 30 '12)
A compelling case has been made that Canada's health care employers must do more to support and develop their staff within healthy environments. This approach has been recommended by the Canadian Health Services Research Foundation, Canadian Policy…
- Employee assistance professionals' role in creating healthy and productive organizations (Aug. 30 '12)
Stress, burnout, work-life imbalance, interpersonal conflict and other symptoms of unhealthy work environments show no signs of decreasing. The impact of these workplace problems, especially rising health costs and lost productivity, has started…
- Welcome to WorkEnvironment e-news (Aug. 30 '12)
Thank you for subscribing to The Graham Lowe Group's newsletter. This inaugural issue launches what I hope will be an exchange of ideas about how to create high-quality, productive work environments. I invite you to share your work environment…
- Statistics Canada highlights a trio of key work trends (Aug. 30 '12)
Statistics Canada has just released several new studies, available in Perspectives on Labour and Income and on its website.
Viewed together, these trends help us to gauge how the labour market has changed and were it may be headed.
- The Future of Retirement (Aug. 30 '12)
The national debate on mandatory retirement that Prime Minister Paul Martin called for last December has yet to materialize. Not only is this debate long overdue, but employers should be leading with fresh ideas and new practices. Here are some…
- Raising the People Practice Bar in Health Care (Aug. 30 '12)
There is a growing consensus that Canada's health care employers must do more to support and develop their staff within healthy and positive environments. Human resources are the largest budget line in any health care organization. But employees are…
- 2011 Summary (Feb. 6 '12)
Work Environment E-newsletter December 2011
As 2011 draws to a close, I would like to take the opportunity to wish all
of you the best for the holiday season and a bright 2012
Here are a few highlights from my year that may…
- Creating Sustainable Organizations: How Flexible Work Improves Wellbeing and Performance. (Jan. 10 '11)
This new report, published by American Express Company and FlexPaths LLC, presents an innovative approach for integrating workplace health promotion, flexible work arrangements and employee engagement. Written by Graham Lowe, the report…
- Creating Healthy Organizations Blog (Jun. 25 '10)
Announcing Graham Lowe's Healthy Organization BLOG
Graham Lowe's new book, Creating Healthy Organizations: How Vibrant Workplaces Inspire Employees to Achieve Sustainable Success (Rotman / UTP Publishing) is now available in bookstores.…
- A Prescription for Organizational Health (Apr. 16 '10)
A Prescription for Organizational Health
Graham Lowe's new book, Creating Healthy Organizations: How Vibrant Workplaces Inspire Employees to Achieve Sustainable Success(Rotman/UTP Publishing), will be in the bookstores in two weeks.…
- Using Common Work Environment Metrics to Improve Performance in Healthcare Organizations (Mar. 25 '10)
Presentation by Graham Lowe to the Health System Performance Research Network, University of Toronto. This session will be webcast. 2:30 - 4:00 pm EST, March…
- Strategies to Strengthen the People-Performance-Quality Chain (Dec. 18 '09)
Work Environment E-newsletter December 2009
- Webinar: "Preserving organizational health in an economic crisis." (Mar. 25 '09)
Work Environment E-newsletter March 2009
- Safety Cultures, Healthy Organizations & Inclusive Wellness (Dec. 18 '08)
Webinar: How can you create and maintain a safety culture?
Accreditation Canada is sponsoring this 90 minute webinar, presented by Graham Lowe, at 11:00 a.m. (EST), January 15th, 2009. The cost is $99.
Patient safety is a basic goal of all…
- Control Over Time and Work-Life Balance (Jun. 21 '07)
A report entitled Control Over Time and Work-Life Balance: An Empirical Analysis is now available on the Graham Lowe Group Inc. website.
The report examines the research and Canadian evidence on work schedules, work time and work-life balance. It…
- Have You Got Job Quality? (May. 3 '07)
Canadian Policy Research Networks (www.cprn.org) and The Graham Lowe Group are launching a new study to take stock of job quality trends in the 21st century. The project will assess the opportunities for improving the quality of work-life outcomes…
- The yin and yang of change (May. 14 '04)
The key to a better workplace: Achieve a balance between the structural and cultural forces at play, GRAHAM LOWE writes in today's Globe & Mail.
One of the great truisms of 21st-century workplaces is that change is relentless. As management experts…
STAY IN TOUCH WITH GRAHAM LOWE
- Follow Graham on Twitter for key trends and new research in the world of work: